(not dostoyevky's)

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Veterans Day 2006

This might have been the first year I really celebrated Veterans Day. I decided, since I was so close, that I would go to the war memorials in Washington, D.C. After visiting the Lincoln Monument, I went to the Viet Nam Memorial. The entire mall was buzzing with visitors, and the black wall was hidden behind the many people searching for names and remembering. While I was reflecting on this statue and the men it represented, I overheard someone say "today is the birthday of the marines." Just then, I heard the sound of a the bagpipes and looked up to see a man, dressed in full bagpipe- regalia playing the Marine Fight song. The solo was beautiful and sad to me. As I stood there and listened to the man playing in honor of the Viet Nam soldiers, I wondered about the many people around me who had also chosen this day to come here. After he finished the song, I thanked him and walked toward the WW2 memorial. As I walked slowly along the reflecting pool, I could hear strains of Amazing Grace.

I'd never before seen the WW2 memorial. It is beautifully done and clearly pays tribute to the men and women who fought all over the world and at home. As President Truman said, "Our debt to the heroic men and valient women in the service of our country can never been repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices." This monument stands to that end. We will never forget.

As I sat watching the fountains and remembering, I couldn't help but notice the many other visitors there. I saw a man in a wheelchair that looked like he could be a veteran of World War II being pushed by a younger woman (daughter?) and another young man (grandson?) on his other side. I saw what looked like a group of middle-school students spreading out to explore. It was touching to see so many Americans (and others) who were both remembering and learning, but all honoring those who made a difference in such an important time in the world's history.

"Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended. A great victory has been won. The skies no longer rain death- the seas bear only commerce- men everywhere walk upright in the sunlight. The entire world is quietly at peace." -Gen. Douglas MacArthur




Next, I walked on to the Korea War Memorial. This memorial was of particular interest to me as it is the only war during which my father was in the navy. I was fortunate enough to be there to witness a ceremony honoring a man who won a medal of honor and the man he carried for 10 miles. It was touching to see these two men, so many years later, with their families, remembing and also being honored. I shook hands with the hero and said simply, "Thank you." There was another young soldier in a wheelchair, legs amputated from the knees down, that was there to shake his hand. It was just another small reminder of all that our veterans sacrifice in the line of duty.

In case you can't read the inscription at the front of the memorial (to the left) it reads:

OUR NATION HONORS HER SONS AND DAUGHTERS WHO ANSWERED THE CALL TO DEFEND A COUNTRY THEY NEVER KNEW AND A PEOPLE THEY NEVER MET


After I got home that night, I looked up the congressional medal of honor winners. I read story after story of courage, love and valor "above and beyond the call of duty." It was not only inspiring, it was humbling.

I must admit, this was the first Veteran's Day in my life that I really reflected on how much we owe to our veterans, at least for the entire day. This important holiday will never again be another day off work for me. It will forever be a day of honor and remembrance.

1 Comments:

Blogger heidi said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful day with me. I agree completely with your sensitive and accurate assessment. Love you!-Heidi

9:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home